Re: [IP] same day surgery

[IP] same day surgery

* To: email @ redacted, email @ redacted
On Wed, 23 May 2001 17:12:00 EDT, Faith wrote:
> I'm having same day surgery next tuesday for Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
> <snip>I'm wondering what to do if i am low the night before and can't drink
> or eat anything, do you just not treat and hope your liver kicks in?

Hopefully your anesthesiologist will allow you to keep the pump
attached. You should explain to your surgeon why it is important for
you to be in touch with the anesthesiologist and find out who or what
group he (the surgeon) is dealing with so you can establish contact
with YOUR anesthesiologist. I found that in my community the
anesthesiologist doesn't ordinarily get assigned until the last 24
hours before surgery.

If you run low after you start to fast, the only way you have, aside
from your liver, is to start a temporary basal rate that is lower than
the rate currently in effect.

I had laparoscopic surgery to repair a hernia in July 2000. I wrote an
IP account of my experiences on July 15, 2000, with subject "Pumping
and Surgery". One of the problems I had to deal with was low BG after
starting to fast.

Tom Beatson
dx 1942, pumping since 1995