Re: [IP] Eye check up

Hello Julie,
Normally 1 broken blood vessel is nothing to worry about.  There is a small
section (the macula) in the back of the eye (the retina) where we see most of
the visual world when we look directly at someone.  If a blood vessel breaks
in that section, the extra fluid can cause bigger problems.  But they usually
do not break there because there are not very many bolld vessles in that
section.  That is one of the reasons you can see so well there.  When the
blood vessels break outside that area, it is not severe bacause it really
doesn't damage anything when there are only a few.  The phrase "broken blood
vessel" and "hemorage" are much worse than they sound.  It isn't like when
you get a cut or even poke a finger - the amount of blood is very small.
As your doc pointed out - it is nothing to worry about.  If it had been in
the macula, he would have been more concerned.  The laser they do for this is
when there is so much blood leaking out they need to seal the small vessels.
Or if a larger area of the retina has been damaged, new blood vessels begin
to grow but the newer vessels are not as strong and tend to leak more than
the older vessels, so the laser is used to either seal those new vessels or
destroy the area of the retina that is sending signals for help which causes
the new blood vessel formation.
Hope that helps.  This is from personal experience as a diabetic with a few
leaky vessels in the back and as an ophthalmic technician how works in an
ophthalmologists office where we see many diabetics.
Andy Winters, ABOM, COA