[IP] Re: re: A vial to fill reservoir

Hi.  I didn't mean to say that one uses a whole vial every time the
reservoir is filled.  (Sorry for my poor writing.)  However, it is a small
hassle to have to deal with air bubbles and measuring, etc. after having
used disposable insulin pens for years now.  I'm a medical device marketer's
dream, I guess, because if it makes my diabetes routine and life more
convenient, I'll buy it!  Remember the days of using glass syringes?  We had
to boil them in distilled water once a week and store them in rubbing
alcohol. Or the urine sugar tests with an eye dropper and test tube that
could only tell you if you were high enough to have sugar in the uring but
not if you were low?  A lot has changed in thirty years, thank goodness.

I do think that convenience leads to better control for most people since
easy stuff is less daunting to do day after day after day.  The reservoir
issue seems small and probably has little effect on control (except that
some people may be more likely to put off changing the infusion set and
maybe have a slightly greater chance of getting infected).  But if Minimed
came up with a pre-filled cartridge, their pump would sell even better, I

I wonder if anyone has ever been invited to participate in a focus group for
diabetes products?  I was once interviewed in my endocrinologist's office by
a rep. from a company that made glucose meters.  Anyone else?

Arlie Sims
email @ redacted

Subject: [IP] A vial to fill reservoir

>>>ONe down side is that you use a vial of insulin to fill the reservoir
set change.  One of the other pumps has a pre-filled cartridge that sounds
really convenient. >>>

A vial of insulin is used to fill a reservoir, but you do not use a vial of
insulin to fill a reservoir. A reservoir holds a little more than 300 units.
vial contains 1000 units. I get kind of tickled at what some people call
*inconveniences* considering what we used to go through in the early days of
pumping. These 3/4" stack of business card-sized pumps of today are *too
to some people, too. I guess we can't have it all. ;)