[IP] Message About Fwds: LONG

I notice quite often on this list people send notices/articles including all
their friends' addys. Think twice before doing this so 3,100+ people won't see
all your acquaintances. The following came to me recently and I'm posting it
here even though it is long and off topic. Sorry, Michael, but I feel it is
very worthwhile and hope to be forgiven (eventually): (~_^)

Subject: [Fwd: FW: *****A VERY important message for YOU!***]

The procedures laid out below for blind carbon copies probably works in
Outlook Express and some other email formats but some email programs are
more complicated to achieve them.

Please read this story below, and take this lady's
suggestion to clean out the headers before you send mail. It's pretty
scary, and to erase others' addresses from forwarded mail is such a simple
thing to do. While it seems easy to just click forward and put our friends'
names in the TO
field of our email programs address box, it really is a dangerous thing
to do. I am placing these instructions before the story so you will know
how to forward your email in the future. Before you forward this message
or any other message to someone, please do the following: (NOT HARD TO DO).

1. REMOVE all email addresses that were forwarded or sent to you on the
message. Use the delete key, drag and delete, or the editing functions on your
email program after you hit the Forward key.

2. DO NOT use the TO field to send the mail on. Please, USE the BCC field.
This means "Blind Carbon Copy." It will list only the name of each individual
receiver on the email. NOBODY ELSE's email address will be shown. TO USE
BCC: Simply click BCC instead of TO. It works just the same. If you add
names from your address book, just add them to the BCC field instead of
the TO field. As an added bonus of using this feature, your email message
won't have all those addys at the beginning. No one will have to
scroll through the addresses to get to the message you have sent. If the
email is printed, this will also save ink by not printing all those addys.

This could prove to be very important.
The following individual asked not to be identified, but asked that
this letter be forwarded to anyone who does not bcc (blind carbon copy)
online... and to spread the word. NOW....
Late one evening, while online, I received an IM
(Internet message) from a man who said he knew me through mutual
pals online. We chatted for an hour or so before deciding to keep in
touch, as we had so many things in common. I eventually, after a week or
so of knowing him, trusted him with my name (first name) and phone
number; after all, he knew my friends and I felt he must have been ok if
they all liked and knew him. He knew a lot about them, he knew a lot
about me, and he knew a lot about a lot! He seemed like such a nice
person, a pleasant person, and someone whom I felt very comfortable
sharing my time online (and on the phone) with.

One night, a friend from our group of friends invited me to a chat room
where several of the friends had gathered and this man popped into the chat
room. He popped in and then left quickly. Then, for the first time since I met
and started chatting with him, I
mentioned him to one of the friends one whom this man claimed association
with. She was in total awe, she did not know who he was!

Things were beginning to look really suspicious. The more she and I
chatted, the more suspicious it became. It also became apparent that this
guy knew none of us. Suddenly, he disappeared offline for a few days...
then one day he pops back in and sends me an IM saying that we need to
talk. He called me at my home and I was very upset, so I asked him how he
really found me and why he had felt the need to lie in the first place.

This is where you all need to pay attention: He told me he spotted
my screen name on a forward that one of my friends sent to someone else.
My screen name is what attracted him. He then used the screen name of
others on the list of forwards to acquaint himself with me and various
others from our clique of friends. He also used the member directory (at
AOL) to look up info about others on the list of forwards, so not to look
suspicious. He said he felt it was the only way he would have the chance
to get to know me, and the main attraction to me was "My Screen name"
because he thought it was "sexy!" I was upset, needless to say, as I had
trusted this man with my personal info... such as phone number and name.
He also knew where I lived (thanks to the phone bill) and I was now his prey!

A few days after having last talked to this person and thinking that
was the last of him, I received a phone call at 4:00 a.m., it has this
man telling me he was in town to see a friend who lived 20 minutes from
my house, and wanted to know if I would like to meet him for coffee or
breakfast. When I told him it was not such a good idea, he became irate
and hung up on me. I immediately called him back (caller ID) and
explained to him that my husband was back home (trying to scare him) and
please not be so mad (in fear of him and what he might do). Telling him
that my husband had returned and we were reconciling was a lie, and I
told him this to make him think I was not alone! Imagine the feeling I
felt in the pit of my stomach when he came back with the following
response "You're a lying b***h, your husband is not there with you... you
are alone!" I hung up on him and immediately called the Broward County
Sheriff's office and told them what had happened. They sent an officer
over to take a report and said that was really all they could do for me
at that time.

So, I packed few belongings into my car, and drove to my sister's home
for the night. Fifteen or 20 minutes after I arrived at her home, I
received a phone call from this man again! He knew I called the Sheriff
and reported him, he knew where I was and he knew my sister and her
husband's names!

This man had been stalking me for weeks and I had no idea! I walked, ate,
slept and breathed in constant
fear until he was finally arrested for stalking! Not for stalking me!
Nope. For stalking another lady who lived in Kendall, FL.

When you forward things and you leave your friends names out in plain
view like that, you are putting THEM and YOURSELF in what could be grave
danger. I hope I have gotten this message across; as I have not even
begun to mention his assault (rape, using deadly force) charges the
detectives from Broward County and Kendall, FL uncovered on him while
investigating his prior history!! Please! Be safe, be careful and
personal email when forwarding items from this, or any other list to
individuals or other
discussion groups (unless the message asks readers to contact them via
email or phone).

Remember, a lot of us have a great deal of information in our sig's
(signature files that appear at the bottom of many of our messages). In
addition, the blind carbon copy (Bcc) option makes the individuals you
send email to unseen by all other recipients.

E-mailers should also cut out email addresses from forwards when
forwarding the message on. I know I have received unsolicited e-mails
from individuals who have gotten my address via a forwarded message. Although
more annoying than serious, it could have been worse.

Some ISP's will reject a list of several addys without a name in the To:
Enter your own name in the To: field so your friends won't be *slighted* their
name wasn't there and someone else's was.

If you already are one who uses Bcc:  Thank you and please disregard the
above, or alert your friends who don't know this - yet.