[IP] Re: ketoacidosis question

In a message dated 5/21/2001 2:03:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> <Hi I just wanted to say that it took my Ashley about 2 weeks to go into a
> keto coma>
> 2 weeks from what?  What did they measure the 2 weeks from?  Or the 7 weeks
> for that matter?  Is it from last insulin dose, bg over a certain level,
> first sign of ketones? I remember being sluggish and dehydrated, etc for a
> couple months before diagnosis...now that I know what the symptoms are, I
> could have diagnosed myself a couple months sooner- lol.

Ashley was measured by a flu virus.  That is what brought on her diabetes.
She had a really nasty flu virus.  Her doctor & endo agree that is when she
became a diabetic.  The white blood cells that were fighting the virus also
attacked her beta cells.  So that is how we measure how long before she went
into a coma.  2 weeks.

  Kim...........Mom of Ashley 10 yrs old(diabetic for 5 years & not pumping