Re: [IP] Wearing Insulin Pump during surgery

On Mon, 21 May 2001 11:55:24 -0400 "Brenda Washburne"
<email @ redacted> wrote:
> I would love to hear if anyone has had surgery while wearing their pump.

See my posting with subject "Pumping and Surgery", July 15, 2000. One
thing to be careful of is the anesthesia people. In my community
(Phoenix, AZ) specific anesthesiologists are not usually assigned to a
case until about 24 hours before the surgery (but I'm under the
impression that this varies, depending on where you live). In order
for you to have assurance that you will be allowed to stay on your
pump you need to be sure it is ok with your surgeon, that you have
been in contact with your anesthesiologist, that the anesthesiologist
understands what the pump does and doesn't do, and that it's ok with
the anesthesiologist. Your endocrinologist can be a big help in
dealing with the surgeon and anesthesiologist, but don't just depend
on the endo to "take care of it". You should make whatever contacts
are necessary to be sure they will allow and understand your pump.

Tom Beatson
dx 1942, 506 1995, 508 2000