Re: [IP] Ketoacidosis Question

I have had my pump stop working in the night.  It is scary, believe me.  The
only way you would get bad enough to be hospitalized is if you never tested.
  I did wake up with hgh bg's and ketones, but I caught it in time to
reverse it before going into dka.  I have been hospitalized by dka 3 times
since dx 12 years ago.  When I had dka, it was after a long time of not
doing shots on time or properly, and never testing.  I had ketones for a
long time before I realized it.  That was in my pre-pump, "denial" days.  I
have never had above moderate ketones while on the pump  Always call your
doctor if you can't get rid of your ketones.  I call if they have not
decreased in about 4 hours.  You have to remember, with ketones you will
probably need more insulin than usual to bring your bg's down a little
amount.  Also, no exercise and lots of water, and just test every hour or so
until they are gone.  When my pump didn't work (twice!), I was lucky and
able to stay home from work and just concentrate on fixing those bg's all
day.  I did shots until minimed sent a loaner pump the next morning.  I also
test ketones a lot when I am sick, even if my bg's are normal.  I hope this