[IP] The story on Vioxx...?

> From: "Vixen" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] The story on Vioxx...?
> .
> > Sorry for including all the snips above...but they've got me thoroughly
> confused!  I'm on Vioxx for costochondritis (chronic inflammation of the
> cartilage in the chest cavity...feels like a heart attack) - my doctor
> put me on it after the costo landed me in the hospital in February.  Saw
> endo this morning, & he was very happy to know that this is what I'm
> Anyone know where to go, resource-wise, to hunt out the truth about Vioxx?
> Sammi

Try this link

I copied one  portion of the document below as it applies to kidney
function.   Notice that at risk are patients on ACE inhibitors and I do take
Zestril, an ACE inhibitor.  My orthopedist put me on Vioxx for one week only
following surgery for a broken tibia and fibula  and this  because of the
intensity of the pain.   After that he wouldn't allow me to have it as he
said  diabetics have enough problems with their kidneys without adding
insult to injury.  I too am disappointed because it was so effective even
the pain from my recurring  tendonitis in my wrists was  alleviated.  By the
way, all NSAID have been nixed for me by my rheumatologist so I can only
take Acetaminophen for pain relief .
I am also experimenting with Bromelain  500 mg a day as a safer
anti-inflammatory  (with my endocrinologist's approval). Physiotherapy and
cold  therapy following exercise also help although
sometimes this causes deep aching in my leg just as cold and dampness do.
No easy answers!!

Best wishes
Denise Guerin
Type 1 46 years
Minimed 507 3 years.

> - Renal Effects: 374
Long-term administration of NSAIDs has resulted in renal papillary necrosis
and other 375
renal injury. Renal toxicity has also been seen in patients in whom renal
prostaglandins 376
have a compensatory role in the maintenance of renal perfusion. In these
patients, 377
administration of a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug may cause a
dose-dependent 378
reduction in prostaglandin formation and, secondarily, in renal blood flow,
which may 379
precipitate overt renal decompensation. Patients at greatest risk of this
reaction are those 380
with impaired renal function, heart failure, liver dysfunction, those taking
diuretics and 381
ACE inhibitors, and the elderly. Discontinuation of NSAID therapy is usually
followed by 382
recovery to the pretreatment state. Clinical trials with VIOXX at daily
doses of 12.5 and 383
25 mg have shown renal effects (e.g., hypertension, edema) similar to those
observed with 384
comparator NSAIDs; these occur with an increased frequency with chronic use
of VIOXX 385
at doses above the 12.5 to 25 mg range. (See ADVERSE REACTIONS.) 386
Caution should be used when initiating treatment with VIOXX in patients with
considerable dehydration. It is advisable to rehydrate patients first and
then start therapy 389
with VIOXX. Caution is also recommended in patients with pre-existing kidney
disease 390
(see WARNINGS-Advanced Renal Disease). 391