[IP] Boluses for large amounts of carbs

After eight weeks pumping my son (John, 7) and I are thrilled with the pump.
We do have a few problems to work out however.

Keeping in mind his basals are not perfect (hopefully one day) why do we have
our biggest problems the bigger the bolus?  It's almost as if we cross some
threshold beyond 60 grams of carbs (his typical meal amount before the pump)
and end up low in a couple of hours. If we stay around 60 we are fine but
going to 75-90 yikes!  This would be using the same ratio (30:1) that works
well at other times and carefully calculating the carbs.

All thoughts appreciated,
Mom of John,7, and his newly named pump "Sparky"