[IP] RE: MM 508 - Pump Screw Cleaning

>From: "Patrick G. Jobe" <email @ redacted>

>Do most of you clean the pump screw regularly as shown in the instructions
>that are sent with the batteries? And do you think it makes any difference?
>I am often forgetting to do this.

MM suggests using the brush that comes with the batteries to clean the lead
screw when the batteries are replaced.  I had not done so for two reasons.
Initially, my HMO required that I get my supplies from IIS who never sent MM
batteries, which contained the brush.  They always sent off-the-shelf
batteries.  Not having the brush, I never bothered, and never had a problem.
I called IIS to inquire about the brush and was advised to use a
toothbrush!?  The second reason was because the cartridge must be removed to
clean the screw and I don't remove the cartridge when the batteries are
replaced.  For many reasons, I am much happier now that I receive my
supplies from MiniMed.  I now get their batteries with the brush but use it
when I replace the set and have the cartridge out of the pump.  So, I guess
I spent 1 year not cleaning the screw and the last 2 years cleaning the
screw without noticing any difference.

A longer than necessary answer but there it is.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MiniMed 507 - 1998