Re: [IP] New Pumper Mom needs help

In a message dated 5/16/01 9:57:44 AM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> She has had many
> high blood sugars in the 300-450 range.  I will bolus the correction, and
> then
> I was told to recheck her in an hour to see if there was a drop in her blood
> sugar.  After an hour there is never a significant drop, even 2 hours after

I wouldn't count on taking a reading only an hour after a correction bolus
myself, but then again, YMMV!  Even when I bolus for a meal, my first reading
is two hours after.  When I do a correction bolus and I'm really high like
that, my ratio goes from 1:50 to 1:30 to bring me down.  I'm usually at my
lowest at THREE HOURS later!
I would NOT bolus again until at LEAST two hours after, but that is taking
into consideration that I KNOW MY BODY and how it reacts and what my unused
insulin is and blah blah blah.
Are you bolusing at the hour reading or is she just going low at four hours
with no other intervention?  Insulin works differently in different people,
so maybe she's just one who has her lowest reading at four hours which from
what I've read is not too uncommon!
Hope this helps FWIW.....