Re: [IP] update on link between A1C and BG average

Yes, John, it seems that it behaves more like a normal chemical
equilibrium, with glucose combining and coming off.  I haven't seen
the paper, which should be in the meeting proceedings, but I talked
with the primary author, Dr. Chris Saudek.
  Lots of docs tell their patients the existing folklore that once it
is bound it is permanent, but this seems not the case.  There's
actually not a lot of research on this, and more research is clearly
needed.  I suspect too that, since how the A1C is actually determined
is not a critical factor in diabetes management, it will be years
before this more correct interpretation makes it into the textbooks
and physician training.  If ever.    Just knowing lower is better
seems all that most docs need to say.
- -wayne

>presented at next month's ADA meeting clearly shows that glycated Hb
>is undergoes chemical exchange, so that lower BG will decrease that
>bound to the red blood cells.

Have you seen the paper?  I would suspect, then, that with lower bg, glucose
would get unbound from all other proteins as well as from Hb?  Is this the
John Kinsley<<<<<<<<