Re: [IP] breastfeeding/diabetic moms

I breast feed our son for about 6 weeks and stopped due to several problems.
Our son was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 21 months old.  I certainly
shed a few tears over stopping the breast feeding and again with his
diagnosis.  Like Sherry, I did the breast feeding classes, lactation
consultants and read every breast feeding book I could get my hands on.  I
personally have never read anything which confirms breast feeding or lack of,
contributing to or speeding up the diagnosis of diabetes or places your child
at greater risk for developing diabetes.  I have heard the various comments
and debates about vaccinations being the trigger as well.  My endo says there
is no valid research to confirm either of these hypothesis's.  There is no
explanation why one child develops diabetes and was breast feed through many
months while another one was not breast feed and doesn't develop diabetes.
If we knew conclusively the answers to triggers of diabetes perhaps we would
be one step closer to a cure.  I really feel for Sherry being a first time
Mom, recently delivering a baby by c-section, and her hormones all over the
place, reading this line of discussion.  As parents I believe we all try to
do what is in the best interest of our children, the hard part is that
sometimes we may not know just exactly what is in their best interest.   Not
breast feeding is an option, and it doesn't make you any less of a mother nor
place your child at greater risk for developing diabetes or so my own
research leads me to believe.  And I have looked extensively!
Marla Anne, dx 4/67, pumping
Mom to Seth, 3 years old, dx 11/99
Wife to David
email @ redacted