[IP] Pump protection

My 7 year old son has been a minimed 508 user for about 7 weeks and we have a
problem I know one of you has solved!  When I change the set I find lots of
dust and sand from the ball field, sand box etc. inside the pump where the
cartridge goes. I'm afraid this will compromise his pump eventually.  Any
solutions are do you just tape over the opening?

Joy Killough
Mom of John who last week had the dinner table singing "Happy 5 week
anniverary to my pump" (To the tune of Happy Birthday!)