[IP] Re: the arrival of baby Zilla

In a message dated 5/15/01 12:41:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Is this your first child?  If so, I
 would say you are just uptight. A very natural reaction. Just keep this in
 mind. Baby Zilla will get hungry, depend on that. If you start supplemental
 feeding, He will get used to the taste of bottle milk and it will be harder
 to get him back to the breast. >>

Newborn babies, especially those born by C-section, can be very sleepy,
partly due to the drugs given to the mother.

Sleepy babies are VERY hard to feed, I had 2 such babies.  If they are hungry
and don't nurse, they just sleep on and on....  and their weight can decline,
which of course is dangerous.

Claire was fed both pumped breastmilk and a foul-smelling hypo-allergenic
formula.  I didn't notice one bit of difference in her taste for either
(however, bottle and breast-feeding can lead to nipple confusion).  I am NOT
advocating formula feeding by making this statement; Claire depended on it
for her life, unfortunately.
She grew from a tiny, 10th percentile baby at 3 months, to a 80th percentile
baby at one year!!

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7