Re: [IP] Does Giving Insulin solve it all? (POLL---please help!)

You go, girl!  ;)

Be sure to tell them about hypos, and that your son can have seizures or
even death if he goes too low!  Ask ADA for some stats on
deaths/coma/seizures from hypoglycemia.  Not only that, but if he is not
given exactly the right dose, he could go too high and not realize it until
he has ketones, etc if he does not constantly monitor himself.  As a
rebellious college student away from home, I was hospitalized 2 times in 6
months for ketoacidosis becaise I just took my insulin and didn't bother to
monitor myself.  I was throwing up and in the emergency room (and cost my
insurance company a ton of $$$!), even though I took my 4 shots a day right
on schedule.  The reasons?  Insulin gone bad, the common cold,
underestimating how much food I really ate... And if your son is on the
pump, there are twice as many things that can go wrong.  Tell them all the
grisly details about possible complications with kidneys, heart, nerves,
eyes, circulation, etc.  Have your son's endo write a letter stressing the
need to monitor feet, eyes, and all that, and the importance of blood
testing.  Also, you could get a financial statement from your insurance
company to show how much money is needed for proper care. ADA or Joslin
would have some stats on complications and how much money is spent for
diabetes care.  Check their websites for email addys or phone numbers.  GOOD