RE: [IP] Insulin Pumps and Magnetic Insoles

Jackie Rhodes [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> 	Does anyone know ANYTHING about wearing an insulin pump
> and using the
> magnetic insoles in shoes?
> 	I have a Disetronic H-Tron Plus v100 pump; have been
> wearing it since Aug,
> 2000. Have lived for the past 5 years in a house with pier and beam
> foundations and wood floors.
> 	Recently moved into a house with a concrete slab
> foundation and am having
> a lot of problems with tired, aching feet and legs. Have
> heard that the
> magnetic insoles would be a big relief for the foot and leg
> pain I am now
> experiencing.

Snake oil!

This is probably much more than you bargained for -- from

Research indicates that in general, magnetic therapy works because of the
electromagnetic nature of the body. Functionally, according to biomagnetic
researchers, the brain generates an electromagnetic current that controls
every motor and sensory response in our body. Every cell in our body
consists of electrically charged particles that are either positive or
negative ions. All are directly affected by exposure to external magnetic

Utter nonsense. External magnetic fields have very little effect on the
body's electrically charged particles (negative and positive ions). Only
ions that are moving are affected. Those that are not moving are completely
unaffected. The body's ions move very slowly, so even a strong external
magnetic field will have little effect. The very powerful magnets in MRI
machines can cause tiny changes that the equipment can detect but are
temporary and have no known health effect. The magnets in shoes -- similar
to refrigerator magnets -- are too weak to produce any measurable effect
within the body.

Magnets generate a magnetic field that penetrates the skin, tissue and
bones. Studies show this increases blood flow, thus enhancing the body's
healing process. The improved circulation has been shown to bring in oxygen
and nutrients.

Several studies have found that magnets do not increase blood flow. If blood
were strongly attracted to magnets, it would tend to pool and might even
come through the skin when a person is exposed to the powerful magnets in
MRI machines.

Magnetic fields have also been shown to normalize the body's pH, the
acid/alkaline balance which creates an internal environment conducive to
good health. While magnetic therapy is not effective on everyone, most
studies indicate many individuals have benefited from this non-invasive
approach to healing.

Most studies of static magnets have found no measurable effect on any body
function. The idea that magnets normalize pH is insane.

JH Comment: to even suggest that pH be "normalized" demonstrates either a
profound ignorance of pH, or a deliberate attempt to mislead.  pH is the log
of the hydrogen ion concentration in a substance.  When hydrogen ions (H+)
are perfectly balanced with hydroxyl ions (OH-), the result is water.
Because the scale is a logarithmic one, the distribution is anything *but*

The Bottom Line:
John W. Farley, Ph.D., Professor of Physics at the University of Nevada, Las
Vegas, who served as a consultant for this article, has concluded that,
"Anyone looking for a health-enhancing effect from a shoe magnet might just
as well put the fortune from a Chinese fortune cookie in their shoe. It will
be equally effective." On August 8, 2000, the Consumer Justice Center, of
Laguna Niguel, Californi filed suit in Orange County Superior Court charging
that Florsheim and the Shoe Emporium have made false claims about MagneForce
shoes [9]. I look forward to seeing whether how Florsheim attempts to
persuade the Court that its claims are legitimate.

Saygili G and others. Investigation of the effect of magnetic retention
systems used in prosthodontics on buccal mucosal blood flow. International
Journal of Prosthodontics 5:326-332, 1992.

Belossi A and others. No effect of a low-frequency pulsed magnetic field on
the brain blood flow among mice. Panminerva Medica 35:57-59, 1993.

Barker A, Cain M. The claimed vasodilatory effect of a commercial permanent
magnet foil; results of a double blind trial. Clinical Physiology and
Physiological Measurement 6:261-263, 1985.

Turner T, Wolfsdorf K, Jourdenais J. Effects of heat, cold, biomagnets and
ultrasound on skin circulation in the horse. Proceedings of the 37th Annual
Convention of the American Association of Equine Practitioners 249-257,

Stick C and others. Do strong magnetic fields in NMR tomography modify
tissue perfusion? Nuklearmedizin 154:326, 1991.

Ramey, D, Steyn P, Kirschvink J. The effect of magnetic wraps on circulation
to the equine third metacarpal region. Proceedings of the 44th Annual
Convention of the American Association of Equine Practitioners 272-274,

Ichioka S and others. Biological effects of static magnetic fields on the
microcirculatory blood flow in vivo: A preliminary report. Medical and
Biological Engingineering and Computing 36:91-95, 1998

Ichioka S and others. High-intensity static magnetic fields modulate skin
microcirculation and temperature in vivo. Bioelectromagnetics 21:183-188,

Jeff Wynton and the Consumer Justice Center v. Florsheim Group, Inc., Shoe
Emporium. Superior Court of California, Orange County, Case #00CC09419,
filed Aug 8, 2000.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR