Re: [IP] Problem with lows

At 10:55 5/14/01, you wrote:
>A friend of mine asked me to post this for her:  She experiences
>uncontrollable cravings for CHO-based foods when she has a low.  This
>concerns her for a couple of reasons.  First, consuming foods to satisfy
>those cravings typically drives her high afterwards.  Second, and this one
>is unfounded, she is concerned about the effects this has on her weight.  Do
>any of you experience similar cravings and, if so, how do you resolve them?

The most difficult thing for me to trust was idea that I would not die from
a low bg if I refrained from eating 200 grams of carbs "just in case".

My CDE promised me that if I tried the 15/15 rule, I would not get hurt.
(15 g carbs, test in 15 min, if bg is still less than 70, repeat)
I tried it a couple of times, was pleasantly supervised I did not die :-)

<<Second, and this one
is unfounded, she is concerned about the effects this has on her weight.  >>

I believe that her concern about her weight IS valid because I proceeded to
loose 3 pounds in two weeks by not over treating and reducing the
associated calories, which were considerable.

I also stopped the roller coaster blood sugars.

I am not sure if the 15/15 rule applies to everyone's case, but it has
worked for me on several levels.

Some days are just not worth chewing through the restraints to participate
in. ;-)