[IP] hypoglycemic fits.

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:03:56
From: "PAULA DAVIS" <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] reply to death by hypo

I went to Camp Seale Harris for 12yrs. and over that time i made many
wonderful life long friends. one of our friends had the tendancy to have a
seizure at least once a year(at camp) right before she sat down to eat
dinner. i have seen many seizures and had 4 myself. but hers were odd - she
did the same thing (turning blue). why does this occur in some people but
not in others? i have never turned blue or stopped breathing, which i am
very thankful for. could it be that they are swallowing there tongue- or is
it just a restriction of air flow? paula

seizures result in incoordination of normal breathing and decrease of blood
oxygen along with attending "cyanosis" a blueish cast to the skin. Having
had seizures on several occasions myself, I have no memory if I turned
cyanotic or not. Its not the kind of thing you can remember. I bit my
tongue on two occasions but never swollowed it, that is folklore. Having
attended many patients having a fit or siezure it doesn't happen. the
tongue may interfere with respiration but you don't swollow it. breathing
ceases briefly which in fact terminates the seizure because of the shift of
the blood to a more acidic nature. Often a bitten tongue will swell and
look like it stopped your breathing. The loss of blood oxygen can interfere
with heart rhythm and cause death. spot

A.L. Bender, M. D.