[IP] AN ARTICLE I CAME ACROSS....CHROMOSOME FOR TYPE 1

    i remember someone asking what chromosome was linked to IDDM....just
thought this might be interesting for some to read.  I got it off
MedicineNet.com but don't know who the author is....

There are two major types of diabetes mellitus, called type I and type II.
(I THOUGHT ONLY TYPE 1 IS REFERRED TO AS DIABETES MELLITUS???)
 Type I diabetes mellitus is also called insulin dependent diabetes mellitus
(IDDM), or juvenile onset diabetes mellitus. In type I diabetes mellitus, the
pancreas releases no insulin at all, and the patient relies on insulin
medication for survival. Abnormal antibodies have been found in patients with
IDDM. Antibodies are proteins in the blood that are part of the body's immune
system. Normally, the immune system is designed to protect the body against
foreign invaders and infections. In <A
HREF="http://www.focusondiabetes.com/Script/Main/art.asp?li=MNI&ArticleKey=24
02">autoimmune diseases</A>, such as IDDM, the
immune system mistakenly manufactures antibodies that are directed against
and cause damage to patients' own body tissues. It is believed that the
tendency to develop these abnormal antibodies in IDDM is genetically
inherited. The gene for developing IDDM has been identified on chromosome
number 11. (Chromosomes are cellular DNAs where all genetic information is
stored.) Exposure to certain viral infections (mumps and Coxsackie viruses)
or other environmental toxins may serve to trigger abnormal antibody
I diabetes tends to occur in young, lean individuals, usually before 30 years
of age. Approximately 10% of the patients with diabetes mellitus have IDDM;
the remaining 90% have type II diabetes mellitus.