[IP] Adults suddenly out of control . . .

In a message dated 5/10/2001 7:40:55 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>  I just went on the pump one year ago exactly
>  after experiencing many lows during the night causing seizures and black
>  outs.  My Diabetes has always been in very strict control and had been
>  extremely easy to manage until 2 1/2 years ago.

What I've learned in the last six months (since my 10 yo daughter was dx'd)
about "in control" and "out of control"  blood sugars seems mostly to be
about kids & teens, growth spurts, puberty, rebellion, etc. etc. . . . I've
been under the (apparent) illusion that type 1 adults who had "figured out"
good control would pretty much be able to maintain that over the long term.

Recently, I've seen several posts like the one quoted above that seem to
indicate that people can have good control for years and then suddenly and
inexplicably have problems maintaining good control . . . Is this a pretty
common experience?  Does anyone have any insight they want to share on this?

I'd like to think that they'll have a cure before Katie gets very far into
adulthood (and I pray for that daily), but I also know how many of you were
told DECADES ago that a cure was only 5-10 years away . . . SO I feel that
while I hope for the best, I need to prepare for what being an adult with T1
will be like for my daughter . . .

(who's anxiously awaiting delivery on MONDAY of Katie's Animas R-1000A pump!!)