Re: [IP] Endo who doesn't support like pumping

At 23:56 5/9/01, you wrote:
>unfortuneatly your experience is all too common.  After starting the pump
>in secrest form my endo and showing him the results he now supports me but
>has the exact same attitude as your endo.
>After 27 years of D and 5 years of fighting with various endos to try the
>pump I believe the only reasons most endos do not endorce the pump are:
>- they are uninformed
>- they are misinformed
>- they never did (even if they tried with some patients) understand the pump
>- they do not want to dedicate their time and cost to starting a new pumper
>- they dont care about their patients' well-being  (it's just a another job)
>It is true that the patient must be highly motivated and have the brains
>and time and money for the pump BUT it is #1 standard of care that any
>patient must be allowed to try any therapy they wish to try which is
>approved by the FDA esp. when other therapies ahve failed to achieve
>optimum results.  it has been said before on this list that any endo who
>does not commit to this credo is not competent to practice in NA.
>AS for your case, Shannon, I sympathise wiht you and feel your endo has
>shown no better conduct than a fly-by-nighter.  You are under no obligation
>to allow him to cite your case nor use your photos in any way.  BUT put it
>in writting!  Change endos if possible and tell your tale to all the pumper
>groups you can.
>Bad enough to cope with d let alone the onus being on us to "educate" the
>medical establishment in modern medicine.
>All my best wishes to you for finding a real endo.
>Darrin Parker - Nova Scotia, Canada!

Another reason I might add to the list, is that they are working for the
insurance company, not the patient.
I was floored at the cost of the pump and supplies and am ever more
grateful for my insurance benefits, and my great endo and her cde/nutritionist.

Some days are just not worth chewing through the restraints to participate
in. ;-)