RE: [IP] death by hypo

Eileen [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Hi, i don't want to alarm anyone, but i know two people who
> passed away from
> low blood sugar. one was on the pump, he did a bolus for a
> snack, but fell
> asleep before eating the snack and he died. the other person
> was on insulin
> shots, was in good control, she was on the couch her husband
> went upstairs to
> bed and came down the next morning and she had passed away. it was an
> unxplained low? the other guy i guess you could say was
> somewhat his fault.

I can't help but wonder two things:

1. Was this a coincidence?  Without the specifics on the death certificate,
it's difficult to say. Certainly, most of our death certificates will note
our disease on it, possibly as a contributing factor, but in someone
otherwise healthy, it seems unlikely that failure to bolus for a snack sized
meal would cause such a severe hypo (unless this person was used to really
BIG bedtime snacks!).

2. Regarding the death certificate, was the hypo the *cause* of death or a
*contributing* cause?  Did the hypo cause death, or did it set up a chain of
events that allowed another condition to have a more profound effect than it
might otherwise have.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR