[IP] Insulin Activity

Much of the current, very active, discussion about insulin shipped by
Merck-Medco revolves about the issue that due to shipping or storage
conditions the activity of insulin received may not be that specified for
the product. Our attitude (the users) is that if we can not be assured of
the shipping/storage conditions then we should not use the product while the
supplier takes the attitude that there may not be a problem and unless there
are other signs of a problem we should assume there is no problem.

The real issue is what is the activity/concentration of the insulin as
received? I really would not care how it was shipped or packed if I am
confident that the activity is correct. Does anyone know how the
activity/concentration of insulin is analytically determined? This must be a
relatively accurate and routine operation during the manufacturing process.