[IP] pump inventor

On Tue, 8 May 2001 "J Hughey" <email @ redacted> wrote:

>Yerachmiel Altman was wearing a pump in 1979.

I actually started wearing a pump on 6 June 1981!  I first saw the pump (it
was either a MillHill or an AutoSringe) back a year before that but I wasn't
interested in being a 'guinea pig' at the time (a year later I was blind so
I was a willing guinea pig).

I think the identity of the inventor of the pump could go to a few people.
There was the original idea, the backpack pump inventor, the AutoSyringe
pump (first 'wearable' device) and some other 'claims'.

My guess is that you have to give credit to all of them because without any
of these steps we wouldn't be where we are today.

Dr Tamborlane wrote the first professional medical articles describing the
pump and the benefits to diabetes control.  I don't believe he was actively
involved in the 'drawing board' except in the sense of features.

Maybe someone could contact these people and get a short biography (almost
all of them I've seen e-mail addresses for at varoius times)