Re: [IP] Thinking about a Pump

On 1 May 2001, at 0:26, Brenda Moore wrote:

> I have been a diabetic for 18 years and am thinking about going on a pump.
> I have spoken to a rep at Animas and it sounded like all you have to do is
> get your basil rate set and then bolus after every meal, but about reading
> the book "Pumping Insulin" is sounds much more complicated than that.

Both are correct.  Hers is simplified.  His is detailed.  Initially, I
found it a bit overwhelming.  And I go through hormonal changes
each month that make my insulin requirements go up and down--
which adds to the "adventure".  Then I have to go back to the
basics and re-do the various basal tests in Pumping Insulin,
weighing food, etc.  I figure a few more months and I'll get the
monthly pattern nailed down.

Then I'll either be pregnant or entering peri-menopause, and I'll have
to start all over again. :-)

But once you get passed the rather steep learning curve, it gets a
LOT easier.

I still have a lot of lows, but that's because I'm aiming for pregnancy
levels (in preparation for hoped-for pregnancy) of below 120 24hrs a
day, plus between 60-80 pre-meals.  So I slip too low when my
insulin requirements are at the "dropping" stage of my menstrual
cycle.  And then I'm chasing the highs two weeks later. :-)

> Does
> a pump allow you more freedom such as what you eat, what time you eat and
> being able to exercise when you want?  Brenda Moore

yes and yes. and yes.  Also, you can sleep in as much as you

I'm not familiar with Animas though so I don't know how it would all
be done on that pump.  I have a Minimed 508.

When it comes to physical activity, there have been times when
I've had to suspend my pump (turn it off temporarily).

This past weekend for example.

My husband and I run a janitorial business.  We had a huge job
this weekend (took 6 of us to cover the whole event).  Fairgrounds
bathrooms and BBQ trash detail.  Lots of walking, lots of bending
to pick up stuff from the ground (beer cups are too big to scoop into
trash scooper), lifting full trash bags out of cans and carrying them
to nearby dumpsters, walking the distances between the various
bathrooms (they didn't give us a go-cart until Sunday afternoon--
sheesh), and then of course cleaning the bathrooms (it's amazing
how much stink human bodies can create!).

I went low every hour or so until I remembered to suspend my
pump.  It was suspended for about 4 hours and I ended up at 88 at
the end of the shift (even with frequent snacking on raisins).

If I'd been on multiple injections set for low-to-medium activity, I'd
have been in big trouble this weekend.  You can't undo X units of
Lente.  But you *can* stop or reduce the continual humalog trickle.
There's a bit of a delay of course, depending on how long Humalog
works in your system, so you'll have to keep feeding the humalog
for a couple hours.  But if you know you're going to be active, you
can pre-adjust.  It takes practice.

Yes, i'm VERY sore today--GROAN.

(But they were so happy with our work that they promised to call
us back again for their next fair, and I even found another pumper
there who saw me testing my BGs and asked if I needed to store
my insulin somewhere (she was one of the people in charge)--turns
out we're both on the 508! :-D).

So yeah, unpredictable physical activity can be done.

And I slept 10 hours last night instead of my usual 7 or 8.  I needed
it.  And my pump kept infusing, so I woke up at 120 instead of 240.

And I ate like a pig today -- for some reason, I get hungry the day
*after* big events, not during.