Re: [IP] Diabetes Educator

Our Ped. Endocrinologist is in Portland, (Oregon right?)as well,  My Son Beau
has been a patient of his for four years now.  Good luck... SC:)

>>> email @ redacted 05/19/01 08:32AM >>>
Hi all,
  I haven't posted much lately but, I have been reading the digests.  I had
to share with you what is going on in our progression on getting Ashley on
the pump.  We went to see the Diabetes Educator yesterday.  She was quite
impressed with how educated I am on the pump.  Which I have to thank you all
for all the information you have given me here.  I have also been reading the
Pumping Insulin book.  Which is very good.
  Anyway they will be making an appt with our Endo up in Portland for next
month when Ashley gets out of school.  Then we will spend 3 days up there
with Ashley on the sensor.  I have already sent in the paperwork to Minimed
to get started on that.  So I am really hoping we will be pumping as soon as
next month.  Our Educator is a registered Minimed pump trainer.  So she will
be the one to teach us how to use it.  I am really happy about that because
Ashley & I both love her.
  One other thing I wanted to mention.  We have a clinic that is called The
Kid's Health Connection in two of our grade schools.  It is in my daughters
school & I sit on the advisory counsel for it.  I have given little speeches
at a breakfast & a luncheon for the Contributors.  My speech is telling them
about Diabetes Type I & how the clinic helps my daughter at school on a daily
basis.  The Luncheon I spoke at was just a few days ago.  I had several
people come up to me after the Luncheon to ask me questions about Diabetes.
One older woman actually asked me if my daughter was a Diabetic because of
her diet.  LOL  So I also educated a smaller group of people on what happens
in a persons body when they become a type I Diabetic.  They were all
fascinated.  I have been asked to speak to the Kiwana's next.  So I feel
pretty good that I am at least getting to some people:-)

Hugs
  Kim...........Mom of Ashley age 10(diabetic for 5 years & not pumping yet)