[IP] (no subject)

<< [Sometimes, when blood vessels to the eye suffer damage, the body rushes
to produce others to help the oxygen-low organ.

         Unfortunately, those new vessels can cause a worse problem,
the retina and making a person blind.]

  I thought perhaps a word or two was dropped in this description, but I
read on and see that this conception of retinopathy is repeated later.>>

Anika,  The description is wrtten as such in some of the medical texts
describing proliferative retinopathy. Yes, these vessels are very fragile.
They will also block the entire vision, I have seen textbook pictures.
There are other variables that will affect how soon the extra vessels bleed:
exercise, blood pressure rise, stress, aging.  (and probably a few more).

Barbara B.