Re: [IP] Islet cell transplants

At 11:35 AM 05/31/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>The stuff from University of Edmonton is exciting but, The NIH is now doing
>a clinical trial on transplants of islet cells. I do not know the details
>but when they are available by e-mail. I'll post their info once I get it.
>You need not have renal failure. One item that was not clear in the Edmonton
>information was the immunological status of their patients. If you have
>Islet cell antibodies or Anti GAD-65 antibodies are you ineligible? It would
>seem like you would be doomed to fail the transplant in these cases. But
>this info was lacking from the public release. After 37 years I still have
>anti GAD-65 antibodies although no islet cell antibodies are still present.
>Those damned immune system cells have too good of a memory!Andy Bender
>email @ redacted
Dear Andy;
I have only signed on to this chat room since Mon. also don't have a pump
yet, to see my Dr. next week, all my tests thruout the day are up and down
till I am not with th program, so am hoping they will allow me a pump. That
is not why I am writing, your messages are so interesting, and this one
today was really so. I have only read that the renal failure people were
allowed to think about the islet transplants. I am looking forward to more
of your notes, sure made my day when I read this one. Thanks from a new
subscriber, and hopeful pumper. Ella Roth  email @ redacted