[IP] Re: Different HA1C'S

Recently Dawn wrote:

> I have had some interesting results with my HA1C's in the past few weeks and
> was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them.
> [results ranged from 6.3 to 7.3]

Unfortunately, this does happen. Results from different labs can come back
consistently different, and in the same direction, too. Your doctor should
be familiar enough with the different labs to know which way each is biased.
This is a good reason to stick with the same lab each time, too.

Moreover, sometimes things just happen, and you never know why. A few months
ago I had a test done in my endo's office, and it came out 5.1. Which was
fantastic, as the one done three months earlier had been 7.6! In fact, I
began to suspect something was wrong, so came in the next day and asked to
have it repeated. He did so, at no charge, and got 7.1 this time. This was
more believable, but it tends to make me not trust the tenth's place very
much! No one there could figure out why the first one was so far out of
line; the same person did both tests.

My next one was down to 6.8, BTW, so at least the trend is good. Now to get
it down into the low 6's.....  Actually, I suppose one lesson to be learned
here is not to base your joy on just the HbA1c values.  I guess a better
practice is to faithfully keep track of your BG's and let them tell you how
well you're doing.

Keith Johnson
Fleischmann Planetarium
email @ redacted
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."