[IP] Everybody - please consider supporting "Pumpers!!"

Fellow diabetics and pump users:

As all of you are aware, the Insulin Pumpers discussion and website is
an invaluable resource for information, advice and support for
diabetics: a place where those who are considering beginning pump
therapy can get their questions answered by veteran pump users; an
important support group for pumpers experiencing problems, where they
can compare notes with others who have dealt with similar problems; and
an incredibly rich resource of all sorts of information and news that is
useful to all diabetics.

Yet, all this is "free!"  Meaning that it doesn't cost us a red cent.

It is free primarily because of Michael Robinton, who saw that there was
a need for such a resource and undertook to fill it, on his own.  But,
like most of us Michael has a real job too.  Currently, it costs him
more than $20,000 per year, most of it paid out of his own pocket, to
run the Insulin Pumpers discussion and its website.

I have to say that it seems unfair that Michael must bear most of these
costs himself, in addition to doing the lionís share of the work.  The
listserv currently has more than 2,400 members, and it is growing every
month as new people discover the benefits of insulin pump therapy.  As
the numbers increase, so does the work load, and the cost of sustaining
this resource.

To me, it seems unfair. Though there have been repeated requests for
support, and some have responded with donations, nearly 90% of our
members still do not contribute to its costs.  Yet it's clear that
everyone derives enormous benefits from "Insulin Pumpers." if everybody
in the group contributed as little as $10 a year, there would be more
than enough money to run it, and funds left over to expand the website
and eventually upgrade the equipment on which it is run.

This will never happen.  No group ever gets 100% of its members to
contribute.  But if whose who CAN afford to donate as little as $15-25 a
years, its future would be secured.

Michael is too self-effacing to make a personal appeal for donations.
But I am not. It's astonishing to me that, in order to provide this
service, he has to sacrifice out of his own financial resources.  He
would continue funding Pumpers as long as he was able, no matter what
the support level.  I don't think that we should permit this to happen.

As one pump-using diabetic who has gained information of incalculable
value during the years I have belonged to this list, I want to urge
everybody whose experience has been like mine to make at least a small
contribution to the expenses of keeping "Insulin Pumpers" going --
hopefully, forever.

You can send a check to:

Insulin Pumpers
4600 El Camino Real - Suite 206B
Los Altos, CA 94022

or else, you may contribute online, using a credit card, at:

Thanks for reading this rant,

Lee Lockwood

P.S. During the first five months of this year, total donations from
individuals and institutions have totaled about $5,400, averaging about
$1,000 per month, which would mean around $12,000 per year towards the
total cost of $20,000.   However, support has been very uneven; in May,
for example, only $95 was taken in.