Re: [IP] islet cells for who?

I have often wondered who would have priority when there
was a 'cure' (of any type as there are other possibilities
besides islets):
-those in the most need with the most problems, who needed
it the most?
-the newly diagnosed, with no damage?
-the ones with the best ability to pay for it (how long
would it be 'experimental' for insurance)?
-only certain areas of the country, those in the boonies
would have to wait, or do a lot of traveling?
-would any be excluded for some other reason (age, weight,
-how long would it take to cover the entire populace of

I personally feel that it would go first to those who have
no control (through NO fault of their own, brittle, etc.)
and with many problems.  Insurance would have to cover, as
it would be a life or death situation.  Next would be the
newly diagnosed.  Insurance would be determined by the
cost.  Insurance companies would rather pay $10,000/year
for 10 years then $50,000 right away, as many would be off
the insurance inside of 10 years, one way or the other
(cynical).  What would most of us do if we were told that
the cure is perfect, available, insurance won't cover and
we would need $100,000 up front and $1,000/month for the

I'm afraid that I will be far down the list, being 51 in
good control (HbA1C 6.2), and even though  I have many of
the complications, I am not in danger of dying
immediately.  I may be redundant, most on this list have
often been told that a cure was imminent many times.  The
first time for me was at Univ. of Minn. hospitals in 1966,
that there would be an absolute cure in 5 to 10 years.  I
believed in those reports for quite awhile.  Fifteen years
ago I decided to get in control and to plan for the worst,
hope for the best and settle for anything in between.  I
will believe in a cure when I trash my pump. testers and

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are
constantly being
either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
 - George F. Will
Jack Granowski
email @ redacted
I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.
 - Groucho Marx