Re: [IP] islet cells for who?

In a message dated 5/28/00 12:21:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Debate is good; I hope there will be just as much debate among those who
 have the power to decide! >>
   I agree that this is a goodnews/bad news scenario. The University of
Alberta was apparently inundated with calls from around the world when the
news broke of the successful "cure" of 8 type I patients. I told my husband
that I feared a "bidding war" might ensue, where a wealthy family would offer
millions directly for research, if only their loved one could become a
participant in the procedure & be instantly insulin-free.....Enter the
bio-ethicists to confront this dilemma!!.....
    IF ( capital IF) the immunsosuppressants being used remain relatively
benign ( as they are thus far) and IF the various methods being pursued to
increase the availability of islets are successful, then "ideally" this
"decision-making" will be a moot point. However, I did see yesterday in print
that the procedure cost $100,000....so obviously we aren't yet speaking of
"ready for prime time" applications.

Regards, Renee (pump-mom & "on the job-trained" budding scientist!!)