Re: [IP] islet cells for who?

  The differentiation is a "qaulity of life" decision. Since these are
initial tests, with unproven safety parameters, the candidates chosen were
restricted to those with "severe" (poor choice of words from the reporter)
diabetes, meaning that they all had severe hypoglycemic unawareness, onset of
complications ( albeit not advanced), and failure to respond to insulin
therapy. One woman was taking 15 hosts per day, another man was being
hospitalized at a rate of 3 times per week, many were having accidents, some
were unable to continue their careers, etc.
  I too cringe at the word "severe", but I hope this explains better what the
reporter failed to convey, especially to those of us "in the know". The
astounding success of the Edmonton trials will now be hopefully repeated in 8
other centers, and if the 100% success rate holds, will be expanded even

Regards, Renee ( Melissa's pump-mom)