Re: [IP] Interesting morning... another twist

In a message dated 5/26/00 1:53:16 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< What a morning.  I got up at 7:30 a.m. did a bg check, 135.  Started my
 fast, in one hour (8:30 a.m.) bg was 207.  One hour after that was 201,
 hovered around 200 the rest of the morning when at 11:30 a.m. I said
 "enough, it's not going anywhere".  And I took a bolus to bring it down.
 Called my CDE who said "interesting".  She called me back later and raised
 my am basal to 0.8.   >>

I have this phenom too.  My early am basal before waking is 1.0 from 4am to
9am, while the rest of the day is .7 and .8.   I tried tweeking this 4-9am
number for a couple of months, but still had the spike, up to 250-280 range,
even without eating.  Finally what worked was to take a bolus about 1 unit if
bg were ok, or more if out of range, upon waking.  This did the trick.  A
spike in bgs requires a spike in insulin (bolus) to cover, and not a slowly
increasing basal.

Now the very interesting and frustrating part.  The above worked great for
the last six months.  The last two weeks, the spike is gone.  I crashed for
several days straight, lowered the spike bolus, and finally did away with it.
 Go figure, our bodies are constantly changing.  At least with a pump we have
a better tool to make the adjustments.

Best of luck,