[IP] Re: high overnight BGs

Recently Barbara wrote:

> Over the last  few months I have been waking up at 2-3 am to test my
> sugar and it's been close to 300. I take a bolus then but when I get up at 7,
> my sugar  is still in the high 200s.

Same thing happened to me.  I started with a higher basal rate (0.7 vs.
daytime 0.2) at 3:30 a.m.  Worked fine for several months.  But a couple
months ago, I started getting highs in the middle of the night.  So I
started boosting my basal earlier, then earlier, until finally I now start
0.7 units at 10 p.m. and keep it up until 6 a.m.!  I've got an endo who
believes I know what I'm doing (don't anyone tell him the truth, now!), so I
did it unilaterally, then asked him about it the next time I went in, and he
said if it worked it was OK.  I did test pretty thoroughly at different
times of night for a few nights to make sure I wasn't going off the beam
somewhere; and I had the graphs to show him  :-)  I realize not everyone is
as fortunate as I in my choice of endo.

You're in charge of your life, so just do a Davy Crockett: "Be sure you're
right, then go ahead."  Your endo is just an expensive but knowledgeable
professional adviser.

Keith Johnson
Fleischmann Planetarium
email @ redacted
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."