[IP] Re: high sugars post-coffee

In a diabetes support group I was in years ago, 5 out of 6 of us reported
higher than expected bg increases following hot coffee (decaf or regular) if
it contained any kind of milk. Cold coffee didn't do it, black coffee didn't
do it, milk alone didn't do it UNLESS the milk was heated.

A nutritionist confirmed that heat makes lactose break down into faster
sugars and that she had heard accounts of milk in conjunction with coffee
having this effect, but she had only circumstantial evidence to support it.

Go figure. Any which way, I double my bolus for heated milk of any sort,
including soy milk, which now accompanies my coffee. (This applies at any
time of day - insulin resistant a.m. or later.)