Re: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #197-bg rise with waking

In a message dated 5/24/00 1:41:22 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< when I wake up at 6:00 am or so BSL

is anywhere between 2.7 (45) & 3.5 (63)but even if I don't have any

breakfast within 45 minutes BSL is up to anywhere between 9.0 (146) and 11.5

(207)  >>

I also have this pattern;  I need about an extra unit in the morning, but
only around the time of waking up.  I can do it by raising my basals before
and during the waking up time, but then if I oversleep I am likely to go
hypoglycemic, so usually I just bolus a unit when I wake up.  It does seem to
work a little more smoothly if I have raised the basals (and also seems to
require a little less insulin).  If I exercise in the morning before eating
and without bolusing, my glucose level goes up rather than down.  If I eat, I
also need more insulin per carb (1:10 rather than 1:15 for me).  At age 53
and after 45 years on insulin, I think I have some decreased sensitivity to
insulin issues also, and wonder if this is not part of the problem.

Linda A