[IP] Re: extended lows

Thanks for the suggestion, but, yes we do go for fast-acting sugars first.
I keep glucose gel with us at all times. Lucky thing, too, since this
episode happened at my in-laws house!

We use glucose tabs if he is calm enough to chew, gel if not. Most of
the day he showed NO symptoms. Before you ask: the insulin doses WERE
drawn up correctly. I know because several other people were in the kitchen
and I was double and triple checked, because they enjoy doing it. My
husband and I are the only ones who actually give injections, but it
makes the others feel more involved if they can supervise. <g>

Anyway, we started with gluc. tabs and then gave crackers and cheese.
20 mins later, still low. We would give 2 tabs at a time and then add
something more complex behind it, and keep testing. On and on, and on,
and on.........

I worked very hard to avoid the glucagon, but would have used it if necessary.
I have heard some really horrible stories about glucagon making people
very sick. If you have any other thoughts on the subject, please let
me know. I never want to experience that again.

Re: lowest lows...JayJay's lowest was 27 and he showed NO symptoms. I
tested 3 times on three different fingers to be sure. I wish I had had
more than meter back then. I would have tested on different meters, too.

Re: the cereal issue...JayJay is as big a milk addict as his mommy. We
go through 6 gallons a week in this house. Milk definately raises him
higher than it should. I often treat lows with whole (full-fat) milk
after a fast-acting source of sugar. Many, many times, when he doesn't
want to eat a meal or snack, I will substitute with cups of milk.

Mom to JayJay
born 2/13/98, dx'd 1/31/99
...sweet as ever

Sign Up Now! http://www.onebox.com