Re: [IP] Strenuous exercise for a couch potato

I went on a similar trip a few years ago in Florida.  He will need to change
his basals, but that's not really something you can do before he goes.  I'm
sure there will be at least one doctor there and they will be testing very
often.  Also, when I went we ate A LOT.  So, he might not only adjust his
basals, but also his carb ratio.  Before he goes the best thing he can do is
just get used to being on a bike and out in the heat.  He doesn't have to go
70 miles a day, but start out small and slow.  And if he tests before,
during, and after he bikes now, it will give him a better idea as to how his
body reacts to the exercise.  Also get him into the habit of drinking water
if he doesn't already, that was something I had a problem with.  As for
bikes, a good 10 speed with thick tires (a mountain bike) would be best.
Good luck and I hope he enjoys it.