[IP] Strenuous exercise for a couch potato

My son, Josh, has just been notified that he has been accepted to go on a two
week, 700 mile bike trip with the Diabetes Youth Foundation of Indiana.
Although he loves the outdoors and exercise, he is pretty much a couch potato
during the school year.  My question is how best to get him prepared for this
trip.  He really wants to go on this trip- he has been to diabetes camp six
times (he is 16) and now he wants something new and different.  I also worry
about his basals with riding approx. 70 miles/day.  Also, any suggestions on
the type of bike he needs? The trip is supposed to be a challenge- regulating
blood sugars while exercising intensely. They leave July 15, so he needs to
get with it since school will be out Wednesday.  Thanks for any insight.