[IP] Back to Cereal again...

I've read over past postings in the archives regarding the problems may
people have with cereal and milk for breakfast.  I am also having this
problem, highs up to about 10:00 a.m. (200+).  So far, we've tried a 1u/10g
carb bolus and a higher basal from 6:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m.  This morning
I woke up with a high (208), am still working on that nightime basal.  For
breakfast at 7:00am I ate 1 1/4 c. puffed wheat cereal (11g carb) with 3/4
c. 2% milk (9g carb) and 1/2 c. orange juice (14g carb).  Running a basal of
0.6 I took a bolus of 5.5u (3.5 for breakfast and 2 for the 208 high).  At
8:30am I was 226, at 9:30am I was 122, at 11:00 am I was 52 (ate 15g of carb
for the low) and was 121 at noon.

I understand about the glycemic index of cereal being rather high, but bread
is not exactly low either.  So what is it about cereal?  I haven't tried
eating anything other than cereal for breakfast, I really don't have time or
the inclination to cook a meal in the morning so whatever I have is got to
be quick and easy.

I had this problem also with MDI and wonder what others have done to resolve
this issue.  I, for one, really like cereal and could eat it 3 times a day.
(My CDE has already gotten on my case about eating cereal for lunch and not
having a real protein at that time, so I had to change my lunch eating
habits already.  I don't like sandwiches, so now I'm cooking at lunch time,
although the problem at lunch time was not from highs after lunch, but lows
and developing small keytones from not eating enough.)

My CDE tells me that there's a hormone that people have in the morning.  (I
can't remember the name.) But it's necessary to get started and it tends to
raise blood sugar.  She attributes my morning problems to this hormone,
saying I get a bigger kick from it.

I really would like to keep my cereal in the morning.  Would I have to just
learn to live with the quick high after breakfast?

Assimilated with Max 05/15/2000!