[IP] New pumper questions about basal testing

My son has been on the pump for almost 6 weeks but I was noticing that his
numbers were not always making sense so we have begun basal testing following
the guidelines in the Pumping Insulin book.  I am frustrated because a couple
of days we were unable to test because of a too high blood sugar at bedtime
(we're doing night basals right now).  It seems as though this process could
go on for quite some time.  Has anyone else followed this same routine and if
so, how did it go and how long did it take to get things smoothed out?  Also,
when my son is doing a fast to figure the basals is it okay to eat anything
carbfree?  Thanks