Re: [IP] The right to refuse antibiotics

Denise Guerin wrote:
> I suppose I could have avoided the whole thing by lying about the
> heart murmur on the dental form, but I found out I am incapable of lying!
> :-(   Oh well, I suppose I can always learn....I hate the feeling of
> powerlessness I am experiencing and I have to get out of that before I go
> down the depression path.   Can anyone share with me on this one? ( By the
> way, I have no intention of returning to the internist who refuses to
> discuss the issue with me)

Boy can I relate!!!!  :(

I'm currently dealing with the university studies abroad program -- I
decided to go to China this summer in order to take Chinese and get my
recertification credits for my teaching credits.

They've already taken my money, told me to apply for a visa, and get a
plane ticket. So it turns out that, having filled out the health
questionnaire, which specifically states that nothing will be held
against you, they decide that maybe I'm not healthy enough to go!!!!!!

I told them that was nonsense -- I traveled to Eastern Europe for 5
weeks last summer, and did fine -- took all my meds and pump supplies
with me, including a back-up pump loaned by MiniMed -- why should China
be any worse??

So then they decided that I could go if I get letters from BOTH my endo
and cardiologist stating that it's OK for me to travel, which both
doctors graciously did, but I'm disgusted by the university's lying, and
their lack of qualifications to make such medical judgments.

Ya know, if I were you, and didn't want to take the antibiotics, I'd
just keep my mouth shut, and when asked if I took them, sweetly say "Oh,
of COURSE!!!".  Since it's to be an hour before the appt. how would they

Personally I do take the antibiotics because I DO have mitral valve
regurgitation, which is apparently high-risk, and it makes sense to me,
but I think you should be allowed to make your own choice.

The dentist is probably worried about his own liability, and possibly
about whether it's ethical to do something he thinks is dangerous. One
thing to do is to show him the updated guidelines from the AHA -- I'm
pretty sure I saw a section that said that people with mitral valve
prolapse but NO regurgitation are at low risk and don't need

Maybe the dentist just hasn't seen that bit of info.

Good luck!

- --
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted