Re: [IP] Zipper Abuse - Longish

In a message dated 5/18/00 5:58:54 AM EST, email @ redacted writes:

<< Can a zipper cut a
 tube and ruin it or are these tubes strong enough to handle the abuse? >>

When I went on the pump on July 31, 1996, I was excited, nervous, and
super-confident that I could handle anything (where was this list when I
needed it then?).  My pump trainer was going out of town a couple of days
after I got hooked up, so she called and asked if I wanted her help to change
out the first time, even though it would mean doing it earlier than planned.
I wished her a good trip and reassured her I'd be fine.  Well, my husband and
I went out on our usual Friday night date--dinner and a movie-- and being
superconfident, as I said, I knew I could handle bolusing at a restaurant.
But I guess old habits die hard.  I went into the restroom to bolus.  Figured
I'd take care of going to the bathroom, too, while I was there and all.
Didn't know until I got home 4 hours later and my shirttail and jeans were
wet that I'd cut the tubing in my zipper when I zipped up my jeans.  I just
about freaked.  My bg was about 300, it was 10:30 at night and I was facing
my first set change.  It only took me two sets and about an hour, but I
finally got it in.  Didn't give up pumping, either.  But I did learn that
asking for and/or accepting help and suggestions can be a very smart thing to
do. Even for us overconfident types.  I also learned that the tubing came in
shorter lengths :)

Brenda Hendren Martinez
D 43 years