Re: [IP] Sometimes you just have to say words that aren't repeatable...

At 09:40 AM 5/18/00 RoseLea wrote:
 >Sam wrote:
 >>>I wonder what they think the profile for a pump user is?? I always thought
 >that the basic conditions for pumping were:1. Insulin dependent diabetic.
 >2. Motivated to live a more "normal" lifestyle.
 >3. Can read and follow basic instructions.<<
 >According to the forms sent to my insurance, a person also has to be
 >motivated to do more frequent blood checks (at least in the beginning) and
 >be motivated to have good bgs.  Not all people are motivated enough to
 >handle the additional work of pumping (carb counting, etc.).  They don't
 >want to put the pump in the hands of someone who tries to be too "normal",
 >ie. doesn't want to check bgs, doesn't want to write down EVERYTHING you put
 >in your mouth (at least in the early days).  There's a pretty big learning
 >process here, and the potential pumper must be willing to take on the task.

Anyone who refuses or can't do any of these basic things will have major
problems with control no matter what course of therapy they pursue. The
pump is no different.

 >Also, the person needs to have difficulty controlling bg levels, too many
 >highs or too many lows.  These reasons were cited on the form as to why I
 >was a good candidate.

I don't agree with this... even a person with perfectly controlled BGs can
benefit from the pump. This is because the pump will allow them to continue
this good control with a much less rigid lifestyle. The problem is that
they are focusing only on the therapeutic aspects and totally ignoring the
quality of life issues. The improved quality of life, to my mind, is one of
the best parts of pumping.