Re: [IP] Reality check request

I've had this happen a number of times.  The most egregious of which was
when I was placed in the infirmary while I was in a freshman in college due
to a bad viral infection that sent my blood sugars rocketing, right before
finals--high-stress time, and you all know what that will do.  (You haven't
lived 'til you've read Faulkner's "Absalom, Absalom!" with a 105 degree
fever.  Kids, don't try this at home!)

The insurance company claimed that they did not have to pay for the time in
the infirmary (like a hospitalization) because the problem was related to
diabetes--a pre-existing condition.  This was a long time ago, foks
(1980-you do the math), so pre-ex clauses still applied.

Just TRY to tell them that the infection was the CAUSE of my high blood
sugars, not a result.  We paid the bill.

Honestly, though, I haven't had this problem in a long time.  I think more
and more doctors are becoming better educated as we learn more about diabetes.

If you get this kind of inattentive reaction from your doctors I would
suggest that you switch, if possible.