[IP] Re: IV insulin

This is what we were told as well, when our then 6yo daughter was
dx'd 3 1/2yrs ago (in DKA with a bg of almost 800. They did an
A1C at diagnosis which was 23%!!!) She spent the first night in
ICU because they were concerned about cerebral swelling and
electrolyte balance from bringing the bg down too rapidly. She
spent a total of one week in the hospital (on IV insulin up until
the last 2-3 days.)

Allison said:
When JayJay was dx'd, at 11 1/2 months of age, his bg was 1113
mg/dl. Honestly, when they told me that, I had no idea what it
meant. I was told that they couldn't lower it too quickly or we
would be running the
risk of his brain swelling. At the time, the brain edema was
scarier than the bg number.

- --
Take care, Kerri, alulitsuti (mother of many children)
"God teaches the birds to make nests, yet the nests of all birds
are not alike." Duwamish proverb