[IP] Insulin: The Tortise or the Hare?

> I have a question that may seem simple to all
> you experienced pumpers.  My son's blood sugars
> can be fine before lunch and fine 2 hours
> later but then seem to drop too low by 4 hours
> after the meal and about the time the humalog
> is out.  Is this a bolus or basal problem?
> I was thinking it was basal but if it is how
> long would I lower his basal to handle this?
> Thanks for any help

When the docs say humalog is SUPPOSED to kick in in 15
minutes and SUPPOSED to be gone after 3 hrs... that's a
rule of thumb... the first thing I noticed when going
on insulin 8 years ago was that my body takes 1.5-2
hours just to START processing Regular (supposed to be
30-45 minutes), and it lasts up to 9 hours (supposed to
be gone in 6).  While a diabetic friend of mine
responds to Regular within 10 minutes and it never
lasts her more than 2 hours.

If your son just assimilated humalog a little slower it
may be because that's how his body is.  Ask you doc
about it... sometimes insulins that are "supposed" to
act longer than others kick in quicker instead, he may
want you to give velousinR a shot and see what it
does... I dunno... I'm no endocrinologist, I just know
how my body behaves...

- -Sara G.

COME BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!! SING IT WITH ME FROM THE
MOUNTAIN TOP!

YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY!