Re: [IP] Basal or Bolus?

At 07:12 PM 5/16/00 -0400, you wrote:
 >I have a question that may seem simple to all you experienced pumpers.  My
 >son's blood sugars can be fine before lunch and fine 2 hours later but then
 >seem to drop too low by 4 hours after the meal and about the time the
 >is out.  Is this a bolus or basal problem?

My guess would be that this is a problem with his bolus ratio rather than
his basals.  For some people (me included) Humalog can last up to 5
hours.  So if I bolus right before the meal and my sugars are in range 2
hours after it I'm almost guaranteed to go low a few hours later.

A couple of options are to take a smaller bolus a half an hour or so before
the meal (then the 2 hour post prandial will be in range) or take less
bolus with the meal and do your post prandial test an hour or so later.  I
prefer the second approach, because there's less chance of
hypoglycemia.  There's no real harm done being above target for a few hours
a day, as I understand it.  And hypoglycemia can be dangerous.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV; so this is not qualified
medical advice.